Inspiring Maths is Vanessa Brown…
I have been a part of mathematics education for nearly 30 years as a teacher, mathematics subject leader and Local Authority consultant. My most recent role was that of line manager for the mathematics curriculum team at Entrust, a joint venture between Capita and Staffordshire County Council supporting the role of the Local Authority.
As Inspiring Maths Education, I’m continuing my extensive 19-year track record supporting primary and secondary schools to improve and develop the quality of teaching and learning with a specific focus on mathematics. This includes providing high quality, bespoke subject specific training, support, advice, consultancy and professional development across the West Midlands and beyond.
As an independent consultant, I wear a number of hats working for a variety of organisations.
- I am an accredited professional lead for the National Centre for the Excellence in Teaching Mathematics (NCETM).
- I am a work group lead for three NCETM Maths Hubs: North Midlands (NM), Shropshire, Herefordshire and Wolverhampton (SHaW) and Central Maths Hubs. These look at mastery readiness in the primary phase and GCSE challenging topics in the secondary phase.
- As an associate lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University, I work with student teachers at the very start of their careers in teaching as both an academic mentor and lecturer.
- I am a School Development Lead for ARK Mathematics Mastery programme visiting schools to support them in their mastery journey.
- I deliver mathematics training for Teachers’ Courses and Resources (TCR) in Staffordshire, offering a range of CPD opportunities.
I have a real passion for the teaching and learning of mathematics and have had a considerable involvement in teaching mathematics both as a teacher, subject leader and adviser over a long career. My enthusiasm for mathematics is infectious and I have vast experience of working with a variety of stakeholders in schools to guide and inspire the next generation of mathematicians.